Summer Bean and Corn Salad
- 2 ears of corn, husks and silks removed
- 3/4 lb. yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 3/4 lb. green beans, trimmed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. minced fresh tarragon
- 8 fresh chervil sprigs
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Add the wax beans to the hot water and cook for 1 minute, then add the green beans. Cook until the beans are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes more. Meanwhile, prepare a bowl of ice water. Drain the beans and immediately transfer them to the ice water to stop the cooking.
Cut the kernels from corncobs, letting the kernels fall into a shallow bowl. Add the beans and onion, drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar, and stir to combine. Sprinkle with the tarragon and chervil, and season with salt and pepper. Serve the salad at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate and serve cold. Serves 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Friends, by Alison Attenborough and Jamie Kimm (Oxmoor House, 2008).