Spring Vegetable Ragout
This medley of tender spring vegetables is excellent alongside our grilled salmon with lemon and dill (see related recipe at left).
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed, spears cut on the bias into 1-inch pieces
- 6 oz. sugar snap peas, strings removed
- 6 oz. yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 oz. zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a 2 3/4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt 2 Tbs. of the butter. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl.
In the same pot over medium-high heat, melt 1 Tbs. of the butter. Add the asparagus and snap peas and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the onion mixture.
In the same pot over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 1 Tbs. butter. Add the summer squash and zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cannellini beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have just softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
Return all the vegetables to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until just warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately. Serves 4.