Polenta with Wild Mushrooms
- 7 cups water
- 2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 2 cups Italian polenta
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus
2 Tbs. butter
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3/4 lb. assorted wild mushrooms, cut into
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup Madeira
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the 4 Tbs. butter, a few cubes at a time, then stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Keep warm over very low heat.
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the 2 Tbs. butter. Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the Madeira and cook, stirring, until the liquid has almost evaporated. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide the polenta among 4 to 6 warmed bowls. Spoon the mushrooms and broth around the polenta and serve immediately with the remaining cheese.