- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 bell peppers (any combination of yellow, orange and red), seeded and
cut into thin strips
- 6 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 4 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 bread-crusted fish fillets for serving (see related recipe at left)
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
Transfer the insert to the slow-cooker base; if you used a sauté pan, transfer the bell pepper mixture to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high according to the manufacturer's instructions until the peppers are soft, about 1 hour. Stir in the basil.
Divide the peperonata among 4 individual bowls and top each with 1 fish fillet, breaded side up. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately. Serves 4.