- 4-oz. piece brioche, crusts removed, bread frozen
- 4 skinless mahimahi fillets, about 2 lb. total
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 tsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Peperonata for serving (see related recipe at left)
Cut the brioche into slices 1/8 inch thick. Set aside
Season the fish with salt and pepper. Place the fish on a plate and sprinkle the top of each fillet with 1 tsp. parsley. Pour the beaten eggs into a shallow bowl and dip one side of a brioche slice into the eggs. Carefully place the bread, egg side down, on a fish fillet. Repeat until the fillet is covered with a single layer of bread, cutting the bread as needed to fit on the fish. Cover the remaining fish in the same manner.
In a wide ovenproof fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Gently place the fish, bread side down, in the pan and cook until the bread is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Turn the fish over and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the fish is cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately with peperonata. Serves 4.