Pappardelle in Herb Broth
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 3 oz. pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 3 shallots, minced
- 6 to 8 green onions, white and tender green portions, thinly sliced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 10 oz. fresh or frozen petite peas
- 3/4 lb. pappardelle or wide egg noodles
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh mint
- 2 Tbs. finely snipped fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
In a large pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the pancetta and sauté until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the shallots and green onions and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium, add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the flavors have blended, about 5 minutes.
Finish the dish
Add the peas and pasta to the soup and cook until the pasta is not quite al dente, about 2 minutes less than the package instructions. The pasta will continue to cook in the heat of the soup. Stir in the parsley, mint and chives. Warm briefly over low heat to blend the flavors. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve immediately, passing the cheese at the table. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Pasta, by Julia della Croce (Oxmoor House, 2006).