Chicken and Vegetable Soup
If you can’t find Swiss chard, you can use 6 oz. baby spinach. Remove the stems, rinse the leaves, dry completely and then chop.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup conchiglie or other small pasta shape
- 2 cups shredded braised chicken (see related recipe at left)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, ribs removed, leaves cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Sauté the vegetables
In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the carrots, onion and celery, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
Cook the pasta
Add the pasta and chicken to the pan and return to a boil. Cook, stirring often, until the pasta is not quite al dente (tender but firm to the bite), about 3 minutes, or according to the package instructions. Stir in the chard and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve immediately. Pass the cheese at the table. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, One Pot, by Carrolyn Carreño (Oxmoor House, 2008).