Watermelon, Feta and Mint Salad
Combining sweet, salty and spicy flavors, this salad is great for a picnic or a backyard barbecue. The recipe calls for a seedless watermelon, although it may contain some small seeds; remove them with a knife.
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small seedless watermelon, about 3 lb., peeled, seeds removed and flesh cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled into 1/4-inch pieces
In a food processor, combine 1/2 cup of the mint leaves and the sugar and process until well blended. Add the chili, vinegar and lime juice and process again. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil. Transfer the vinaigrette to a bowl and season with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
Place the watermelon and cheese in individual bowls and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup mint leaves and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking from the Farmers’ Market, by Tasha DeSerio & Jodi Liano (Weldon Owen, 2010).