Shaved Zucchini Salad with Lemon and Mint
You can use either a mandoline or a vegetable peeler to shave the zucchini. If you opt for the vegetable peeler, look for one that is serrated and designed for soft vegetables. Seek out a top-notch fruity extra-virgin olive oil to infuse this dish with a rich, distinctive flavor.
- 4 zucchini, about 2 lb. (1 kg) total weight
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) torn fresh mint leaves
- Crumbled Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Borage flowers for garnish (optional)
Trim the ends of the zucchini but do not peel. Using a vegetable peeler or a mandoline, shave the zucchini lengthwise into long, paper-thin strips, letting the strips fall into a bowl. (If you are unable to shave the seedy cores, discard them or reserve for another use.)
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon zest. Drizzle over the zucchini and season with 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Add the mint and toss gently. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Divide the salad among individual plates, garnish with the Parmesan and borage flowers, and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams Sonoma Newlywed Entertaining (Weldon Owen, 2016)