Prosciutto and Cheese Panini
Made with thin prosciutto slices and three kinds of cheeses, these grilled sandwiches are the perfect accompaniment to our Roasted Tomato Soup.
- 4 1/2 oz. Danish fontina cheese, shredded
- 4 1/2 oz. provolone cheese, shredded
- 6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices sourdough bread, each about 7 inches long
- 1 1/2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 8 thin slices prosciutto, about 4 oz. total
Preheat an electric panini press to 375ºF according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
In a bowl, combine the fontina and provolone cheeses; set aside.
Spread the butter on one side of each bread slice. Sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese evenly over the buttered sides and press gently to adhere. Turn 4 of the bread slices over so they are cheese side down and top each with 2 prosciutto slices. Sprinkle the fontina-provolone cheese mixture on top, dividing evenly. Top each with one of the remaining bread slices, cheese side up.
Place 2 sandwiches on the preheated panini press and close the lid. Cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half. Serve immediately. Serves 4.