Daikon Radish Slaw with Crab and Black Sesame Seeds
In this beautiful salad, which is full of delicate Asian flavors, daikon radish and sprouts are a cool, refreshing foil to the rich crabmeat. Serve as a starter to accompany grilled fish or meat or as a light main course.
- 1 daikon radish, about 2 lb. (1 kg), peeled and trimmed
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄2 lb. (250 g) cooked crabmeat, picked over for shell fragments
- 2 tsp. black sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup (1⁄2 oz./15 g) radish sprouts
Using a mandoline, slice the radish into threads using the finest teeth. Alternatively, cut the radish into 3-inch (7.5-cm) pieces and julienne the pieces.
In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar and sesame oil. Add the radish pieces and turn to coat well. Add the crabmeat and turn again. Divide the slaw among bowls or plates, sprinkle with the sesame seeds, garnish with the radish sprouts and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Salad of the Day, by Georgeanne Brennan (Weldon Owen, 2012)