Crab Cake Salad
- 1 lb. cooked fresh crabmeat, flaked
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbs. mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup white bread crumbs or panko
- 4 green onions, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper, plus more, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. roughly chopped fresh dill
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Leaves from 1 head butter lettuce
- 6 radishes, cut into matchsticks
Using an immersion blender, blend the 1 cup mayonnaise, the mustard, lemon juice, salt, white pepper and cayenne until smooth. Add the dill and pulse to incorporate. Cover the dressing and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Line a baking sheet with paper towels. In an electric skillet set on 350°F, melt the butter with the olive oil. Fry the crab cakes, turning once, until crisp and golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Using a slotted spatula, transfer the crab cakes to the prepared baking sheet to drain.
Serve the crab cakes on a bed of lettuce and radishes. Pass the dressing alongside. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Salad, by Brigit L. Binns (Oxmoor House, 2007).