- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbs. buttermilk
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 peeled Granny Smith apples, 1 cored
and finely grated, 1 thinly sliced on
Heat a griddle over medium-high heat until a few drops of water flicked onto the surface skitter across it. Lightly spray the griddle with nonstick cooking spray.
For each pancake, sprinkle 1/2 tsp. sugar on 1 apple slice and place on the griddle. Using a batter dispenser, dispense about 1/3 cup of the batter on top of the apple slice. Cook until bubbles form on top and the batter is set, about 2 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2 minutes more. Keep warm until all the pancakes are cooked. Makes about 12 pancakes; serves 4.