White Anchovy, Parmesan & Grilled Bread Salad
- 1 small fennel bulb, shaved crosswise into thin
- 1 medium carrot, shaved crosswise into thin
- 2 celery stalks, shaved crosswise into thin slices
- 1/2 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion tops
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. Champagne or white wine vinegar
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices country-style bread, each 4 to 5 inches
wide and about 1 inch thick
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese shavings
- 12 to 16 oil-cured white anchovy fillets
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill.
Brush both sides of the bread slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the bread until crispy and golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Let cool slightly, then, using a chef's knife, cut the bread into 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes. In a large salad bowl, toss the bread with the vegetable mixture and half of the cheese. Let the salad stand, stirring occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Divide the salad among individual salad bowls. Garnish with anchovies and the remaining cheese and parsley. Serves 4.