Vietnamese-Style Pork Sandwich
- 2 cups very thinly sliced roast pork (see related
recipe at left)
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 baguette, about 24 inches long, split
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded and thinly sliced or
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a small bowl, toss the pork with the soy sauce, garlic and fish sauce. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Assemble the sandwiches
Spread the cut sides of the baguette with the mayonnaise. Layer the pork, cucumber, carrots, onion, chili and cilantro on the bottom half of the baguette. Close the sandwich with the top half of the baguette and cut on the diagonal into 4 individual sandwiches. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Simple Suppers, by Melanie Barnard (Oxmoor House, 2007).