Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
In this recipe sweet potatoes and black beans make a great combination in a hearty chili that will keep you warm on the coldest of days. Serve with your choice of sliced green onions, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream and grated cheddar cheese, then let your guests help themselves.
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) olive oil
- 3 sweet potatoes, about 3 1/2 lb. (1.75 kg) total, cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) dice
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups dried black beans, rinsed, soaked overnight in water to cover and drained
- 1 can (28 oz./875 g) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (32 fl. oz./1 l) vegetable stock
- Avocado slices for garnish
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the sweet potatoes and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and the sweet potatoes are slightly soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper, then stir in the black beans, tomatoes and vegetable stock.
Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot and cook the chili, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking until the beans are soft and the chili is thickened slightly, 5 to 10 minutes. Ladle into individual bowls, garnish with the avocado and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen