Spanish Chicken Salad
Inspired by the flavors of Spain, this main-course salad combines almonds, roasted red bell peppers, smoked paprika and sherry vinegar with chunks of cooked chicken.
- 2 tsp. plus 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. paprika, preferably Spanish smoked
- 2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 2 Tbs. mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 head green- or red-leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken, poached or rotisserie
- 2 jarred roasted red bell peppers, sliced
Toast the almonds
In a small fry pan over medium heat, warm the 2 tsp. olive oil. Add the almonds and toast, stirring, until crisp and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Make the vinaigrette
In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic, paprika, vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the 1/4 cup olive oil until smooth.
Assemble the salad
Add the lettuce, chicken, almonds and bell peppers to the vinaigrette and toss to coat evenly. Arrange the salad on individual plates and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Salad, by Brigit L. Binns (Oxmoor House, 2007).