Pasta Rustica with Chicken Sausage and Three Cheeses
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 lb. chicken or turkey sausage, casings
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes in puree, tomatoes
coarsely chopped and puree reserved
- Salt, to taste
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Preheat an oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a baking dish.
Bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water, add the pasta, stir well and cook until barely al dente (tender but firm to the bite), 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well.
In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the sauce, the ricotta and fontina. Spread in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Bake until the cheeses are melted and the tips of the pasta are crusty, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot.