Olive salad, an essential ingredient for muffuletta, can be found in the condiment section of most supermarkets. It is also easy to make your own (see related recipe at left).
- 4 Kaiser or other round, seeded rolls, each 4
inches in diameter, split
- 1 cup olive salad
- 3 oz. thinly sliced cooked ham
- 3 oz. thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 4 oz. thinly sliced mortadella
- 4 slices provolone cheese
Preheat an electric panini press on medium-low according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Place the sandwiches, one at a time, on the preheated panini press. Cook according to the manufacturer's instructions until the sandwich is warmed through and the cheese is melted, 6 to 8 minutes.
Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut each into quarters. Serve warm. Serves 6 to 8.
Inspired by the classic sandwich served throughout New Orleans.