This piquant salad is an essential ingredient for the classic New Orleans sandwich known as muffuletta (see related recipe at left). You can find pickled pepperoncini, also called Tuscan peppers, in most supermarkets.
- 1 1/2 cups queen pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 cup Italian gardinera (pickled cauliflower,
carrots, red pepper and celery)
- 1/4 cup pickled pepperoncini
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Place the queen and Kalamata olives, the gardinera, pepperoncini and capers on a cutting board. Roughly chop the ingredients, cutting each piece 2 or 3 times. The mixture should be very coarse. Transfer to a bowl and add the garlic, parsley, oregano and olive oil. Stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Serves 4.