Eggplant & Tomato Stacks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tsp. olive oil, plus more as needed
- 4 yellow onions, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 eggplant, 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 5 tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 zucchini, halved crosswise and sliced lengthwise 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm 6 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, basil, oregano and parsley and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat.
Rub the bottom and sides of a 12-inch cast-iron fry pan with olive oil. Place 8 eggplant slices in a single layer in the pan and season with salt. Top each with 1 tsp. onions and 1 tomato slice and season with salt. Top each with 1 tsp. onions and 2 zucchini slices and season with salt. Top each with 1 tsp. onions. Repeat the layering 2 more times, ending with the zucchini. Drizzle each vegetable stack with 1 tsp. olive oil.
Bake until the vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle each stack with 1 Tbs. cheese and bake for 7 to 10 minutes more. Let the vegetables rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serves 8.