Deep-Roasted Fall Vegetables
- 1 lb. small white onions, each about 1 1/4
inches in diameter
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into
1-inch slices (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups broccoli florets (from 1 large bunch)
- 1 lb. yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise
and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh marjoram
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 500°F. Coat the bottom of a heavy 18-by-13-inch roasting pan with the olive oil. Add the onions and shake the pan to coat them with the oil. Roast for 7 minutes. Shake the pan to turn the onions over, then move them to the center of the pan.
Surround the onions with the carrots, broccoli and squash and roast for 15 minutes more. Turn the vegetables over and roast until browned and tender, about 7 minutes more.
Add the marjoram and roast for 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma TASTE Magazine, Perfect Roasting, by Barbara Kafka (Fall 2001).