Wild Rice Salad
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 or 2 oranges, preferably navel, peeled, sectioned and chopped (see note above)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbs. walnut or canola oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
Cook the rice
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the rice, water and the 1/2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the rice is just tender, about 40 minutes. Drain and place in a bowl.
Assemble the salad
Add the celery, cranberries, walnuts, chopped oranges and orange juice to the rice. Add the oil and stir with a fork to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the salad into a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Vegetarian, by Dana Jacobi (Oxmoor House, 2007).