Red or White Wine Marinade
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Servings: 12 Makes about 5 cups, enough for a large roast, leg of lamb or whole chicken.
This recipe can be made with red wine for beef and lamb or white wine for poultry. Large roasts and whole chickens can marinate for 1 to 3 days; the longer they marinate, the more flavor they will gain.
- 1 bottle (about 3 1/2 cups) dry red or white wine
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme, rosemary
or tarragon, or 2 tsp. dried herb of choice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
In a large bowl, whisk together the wine, olive oil, onion, parsley, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Use immediately or refrigerate in a tightly covered jar for up to 2 days.
Makes about 5 cups, enough for a large roast, leg of lamb or whole chicken.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library Series, Grilling, by John Phillip Carroll (Time-Life Books, 1992).