Mushroom and Stilton Galette
For the pastry:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 1/4 oz. dried wild mushrooms, such as
chanterelles, porcini or shiitakes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 lb. assorted fresh wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, porcini and shiitakes, brushed clean and large mushrooms thinly sliced 1/2 lb. fresh button mushrooms, brushed clean and thinly sliced
- 5 oz. Stilton or other good-quality blue cheese
Meanwhile, make the filling: Place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl and add the boiling water. Let stand for 30 minutes until softened. Drain the mushrooms and mince finely.
Preheat an oven to 400°F.
In a large fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the green onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, rosemary and thyme and continue to cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Increase the heat to high, add the fresh and rehydrated mushrooms, and sauté until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid they released has completely evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
On a floured work surface, roll out the dough into a 12-inch round. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Crumble the blue cheese into a bowl, add the cooled mushrooms and stir well. Spread the mixture over the dough, leaving a
1 1/2-inch border. Fold the border over the mushrooms and cheese, pleating the edge to make it fit. The center will be open.
Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, let stand for 5 minutes, then slide the galette onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve hot, warm or at room temperature.