Herbes de Provence Bread Pudding
Our springtime stuffing mix, inspired by the classic herbs used in Provençal kitchens, is the basis for this fragrant savory bread pudding, the perfect accompaniment to a variety of roast meats.
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 package herbes de Provence spring stuffing mix
- 6 oz. (180 g) Gruyère cheese, grated
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups (24 fl. oz./750 ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (12 fl. oz./375 ml) chicken stock
Preheat an oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter a 9-by-13-inch (23-by-33-cm) baking dish.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, leeks, salt and pepper and sauté until the vegetables are soft and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to a very large bowl, add the stuffing mix and two-thirds of the cheese and toss until well combined. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
In the same bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and chicken stock until well combined. Pour over the stuffing mixture and gently press down to submerge. Let stand for 5 minutes, then top with the remaining cheese.
Cover the dish with a buttered sheet of aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the top is golden brown and crisp, about 25 minutes more. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 10 to 12.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen