Grilled Summer Squash with Green Sauce
For the green sauce:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tsp. capers
- 2 anchovy fillets in olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 or 5 small zucchini or yellow summer squash, about 1 lb. total, cut lengthwise into slices 1/4 inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Place the zucchini in a large, shallow nonaluminum dish. In a small bowl, mash together the garlic and 2 Tbs. of the olive oil with the back of a spoon until smooth. Whisk in the remaining 4 Tbs. oil, the thyme, salt and black pepper. Pour over the zucchini. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Prepare a hot fire for direct-heat cooking in a grill. Position the grill rack 4 to 6 inches above the fire.
Place the zucchini on the rack. Cook, turning once, until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Transfer to a serving dish and spoon the green sauce evenly over the top. Serve immediately.