Green Goddess Dressing
Now a classic, this creamy salad dressing was created by the chef at San Francisco’s Palace Hotel in the 1920s to honor actor George Arliss, who was starring locally in a play called Green Goddess. The dressing is excellent tossed with mixed greens, chopped cucumber, tomato and avocado.
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup (6 fl. oz./180 ml) buttermilk
- Kosher salt, to taste
In a Vitamix blender, combine the chives, parsley, tarragon, basil, anchovies, shallot, lemon juice, mayonnaise and buttermilk. Cover and blend on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
Pour the dressing into a liquid measuring cup and season with salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days before using. Makes about 1 1/2 cups (12 fl. oz./375 ml).