Glazed Root Vegetables
These glazed vegetables are the perfect accompaniment to our Stout-Braised Lamb Shanks.
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 6 baby carrots, green tops attached, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2 baby turnips, peeled and each cut into 8 wedges
- 8 baby red potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Return all the vegetables to the pan and add the remaining 1 Tbs. butter, the broth, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are glazed, 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer the vegetables to a platter and serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.