- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh thyme
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 12 oz. coarsely shredded cooked chicken (see
related recipes at right)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- Canola oil for frying
In a bowl, combine the mashed potatoes and chicken. Stir in the onion mixture, the egg and the 3 Tbs. flour.
Dust your hands with flour. Form the potato mixture into 6 patties, each 3/4 inch thick, dusting with more flour, if needed. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
Preheat an oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
In a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, pour in oil to a depth of 1/4 inch and heat. Fry the patties, occasionally pressing them flat with a spatula, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet to drain and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve. Serves 6.