Braised Cannellini Beans with Kale
Kale adds bright color to these tender cannellini beans, which make a wonderful side dish for our Chicken Breasts with Glazed Root Vegetables. If desired, cook the beans in vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and serve as a hearty vegetarian entrée.
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 bunch kale, ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a 3-quart La Chamba clay oval casserole dish set over a diffuser, or in a Dutch oven set directly on the stovetop, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the fennel and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the thyme sprigs, beans, broth and water, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Uncover the pot and remove and discard the thyme sprigs.
Increase the heat to medium-high, add the kale and cook, uncovered, until the kale is tender but slightly toothsome, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately. Serves 4.