Warm White Bean Salad
- 1 1/2 cups dried Great Northern or other white
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed with the side of a
knife, plus 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. sherry vinegar, or to taste
Put the beans in a pressure cooker and add the yellow onion, crushed garlic and bay leaf. Add water according to the manufacturer's instructions. Cover and cook on high for 6 minutes. Let the cooker cool for 20 minutes, then release the pressure according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Transfer the beans and their cooking liquid to a large bowl, season with salt and let cool until just warm. Remove the yellow onion, garlic and bay leaf and discard, then drain the beans. Transfer to a serving bowl and add the tomato, red onion, minced garlic, basil, parsley, olive oil and vinegar. Stir gently and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Serves 8.