Shrimp and Saffron Pancakes
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus oil for frying
- 1/4 cup minced green onion, including tender green portions
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 lb. small shrimp, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus sprigs for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cups water
In a bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, chickpea flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add the shrimp, cooked green onions, chopped parsley, paprika, saffron and water. Stir well. The batter should be the consistency of very heavy cream. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate for up to overnight.
In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, pour in olive oil to a depth of 1/4 inch. When the oil is hot, drop in 2 Tbs. batter for each pancake, spreading out each mound with the back of a spoon to form a cake about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Do not crowd the pan. Fry, turning once, until pancakes are golden, about 2 minutes per side. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain. Keep warm. Fry the remaining batter in the same way.
Arrange pancakes on a warmed platter and serve immediately. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.