Oven-Dried Tomato and Lentil Soup
- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups French green lentils
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 6 cups rich vegetable stock or canned broth
- 1 lb. red new potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Meanwhile, pick over the lentils and discard any misshappen lentils and stones. Rinse the lentils. Place in a bowl and add water to cover generously. Let stand for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot and celery and sauté until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the stock, drained lentils, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils and potatoes are tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
Add the reserved tomatoes and the rosemary and continue to simmer, stirring gently to retain the shape of the tomatoes, until the flavors have blended, about 15 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle into warmed bowls and serve hot.