Little Gem Wedges with Radish and Green Goddess Dressing
Little Gem is a small, compact lettuce, upright like romaine, but with ruffled leaves that hold up well when cut into wedges. Green Goddess dressing, full of the herbs that give the dressing its name, is exceptionally flavorful.
For the dressing:
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g) sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1/2 cup (3/4 oz./20 g) minced fresh chives
- 1/3 cup (1/2 oz./15 g) minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh tarragon
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
4 to 6 heads Little Gem lettuce, or more if very small
- 8 radishes, trimmed
To make the dressing, in a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic, anchovies, chives, parsley, tarragon, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper until well combined. Set aside.
Halve the lettuce heads lengthwise and thinly slice the radishes crosswise. Arrange the lettuce on a serving platter or distribute among salad plates. Sprinkle with the radish slices, drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Salad of the Day, by Georgeanne Brennan (Weldon Owen, 2012)