Lentil, Potato & Spinach Curry
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 large red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups cooked green lentils (see related recipe at left)
- 2 packed cups baby spinach
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Steamed white or brown basmati rice for serving
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and sauté until browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, garam masala, cumin and coriander, and stir until the spices are toasted and fragrant, about 1 minute.
Cook the vegetables
Add the potatoes, lentils and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until it wilts, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the rice into bowls and top with the vegetable curry. Garnish with the yogurt and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Vegetarian, by Dana Jacobi (Oxmoor House, 2007).