Lemongrass Chicken & Asparagus
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 1 1/2 lb. total, cut into
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. peanut or canola oil
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 lemongrass stalk, bulb part only, trimmed and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb. slender asparagus, trimmed and sliced on the diagonal
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbs. Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- Steamed white rice for serving
Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper. In a wok or fry pan over high heat, warm the oil. Add the chicken and stir-fry until golden on the outside and opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add the green onions to the pan and stir-fry until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the ginger, lemongrass and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the asparagus and stir-fry just until tender-crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
Finish the dish
Add the broth and fish sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken and any juices from the plate to the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with the peanuts.
Spoon the rice onto individual plates, top with the chicken and asparagus and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Weeknight, by Melanie Barnard (Oxmoor House, 2006).