Gingered Carrot Soup
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. chopped celery leaves
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable stock or canned broth
- 1 slice whole wheat sandwich bread, torn into bits
- 1/4 cup nonfat evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion tops
- 2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
Stir in the water, stock and bread. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
Transfer the soup, in batches, if necessary, to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
To serve hot, return the soup to the saucepan and stir in the milk and green onions. Reheat for a moment over low heat, not letting the soup boil, then stir in the ginger. Ladle into individual bowls.
To serve cold, pour into a large bowl and stir in the milk, green onions and ginger. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled thoroughly, at least 4 hours or up to 3 days. Ladle into mugs.