- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 lb. chorizo sausages, casings removed,
- 1/2 lb. ground veal
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
(fresh or canned)
- 1/4 cup Spanish brine-cured green olives, pitted
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen puff pastry sheets,
thawed in the refrigerator
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 Tbs. water
Preheat an oven to 350°F.
Dust a work surface and a rolling pin with flour. Roll out the puff pastry 1/8 inch thick. Using a round cookie cutter 3 1/2 inches in diameter, cut out 24 rounds. Place about 1 Tbs. filling on one half of each round. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of half of the round with the egg-water mixture. Fold each round in half, enclosing the filling and forming a half-moon. Press the edges together to seal. As the turnovers are formed, arrange them on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Divide the turnovers among 6 individual plates and serve hot or at room temperature.