Chipotle-Black Bean Dip
Tortilla chips and ice-cold beer are the perfect accompaniments for this flavorful dip, which takes its cue from the American Southwest. The recipe calls for chipotle chilies in adobo sauce; these dried, smoked jalapeños are sold in cans, packed in an oniony tomato mixture.
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. roasted garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. toasted onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. toasted ground cumin seed
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cans (each 15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Tortilla or corn chips for serving
In a large molcajete, combine the chipotle chilies, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and cilantro. Using a pestle, grind the ingredients together to form a paste. Add three-fourths of the black beans and grind until well mashed. Stir in the remaining beans and season with salt. Serve with tortilla or corn chips for dipping. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.