Ranch-Style Dip with Dippers
This recipe is designed for young chefs to prepare. Moms and Dads: take your kids on a shopping trip to the farmers’ market and let them choose their favorite vegetables to use as the dippers.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, or 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. minced shallot, or 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced, or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to taste
- Dippers for serving: raw cucumber spears or slices, carrots, snow peas, celery sticks, jicama sticks, cauliflower florets, broccoli florets, zucchini slices and bell pepper strips
In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, parsley, shallot, garlic, the 1/2 tsp. salt and the 1/4 tsp. pepper. Stir until blended. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper, if needed.
Transfer the dip to a serving bowl. Serve cold or at room temperature with your favorite dippers. Store any leftover dip in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Makes about 1 cup.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma The Kid's Cookbook, by Abigail Johnson Dodge (Time-Life Books, 2000).