Panna Cotta with Strawberries and Plums
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 5 lemon zest strips, each 3 inches long
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, or 3/4
tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 tsp. unflavored gelatin
- 8 plums, about 1 1/2 lb. total, pitted and thinly
- 1 pint strawberries, halved
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/3 cup milk and the gelatin. Set aside to soften for about 10 minutes.
Bring the cream mixture back to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the gelatin mixture until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve set over a large measuring pitcher. Stir in the vanilla extract, if using.
Pour into six 6-oz. custard cups or ramekins. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
To serve, run a small knife around the edge of each cup and unmold onto individual serving plates. Arrange the plum slices and strawberry halves around the molds. Serve immediately.