Jolly Cookie Jar
- 1-quart wide-mouthed jar (with a lid) in glass or clear plastic
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3-by-3-inch piece white card stock
- Hole punch
- 16 to 18 inches narrow ribbon or kitchen string
On the white card stock, make a gift tag that includes the following instructions: "For scrumptious holiday cookies in a flash, preheat the oven to 375°F. Beat together 3 ounces (3/4 stick) softened unsalted butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 egg in a large bowl or mixer. Add the contents of the jar and stir or mix until well blended. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Makes 2 dozen cookies. Enjoy!"
Punch a hole in a corner of your gift tag, and thread your ribbon or kitchen string through. When the tag is centered in the middle of the ribbon, tie the ribbon around the jar's neck, or secure it under the threads of the lid. Makes 1 jar.
Adapted from Kids in the Holiday Kitchen, by Jessica Strand & Tammy Massman-Johnson (Chronicle Books, 2007).