Goat Cheese Crostini with Spring Pea Puree
Created by Chef Liam LaCivita, this spring pea puree pairs beautifully with fresh chèvre or cabecou, a soft goat cheese from southern France, and a glass of crisp Sancerre.
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp. sliced garlic
- 3 cups shelled English peas, blanched
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large handful of fresh baby spinach leaves (about 2 1/2 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups Sauvignon Blanc
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh goat cheese for serving
- Crostini for serving
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm 1 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic, peas, thyme and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the wine and bring to a simmer, then simmer for 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil and remove from the heat.
Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Adjust the seasoning with salt. Serve the pea puree at room temperature or slightly chilled. To serve, spread goat cheese on crostini and top with a dollop of pea puree. Makes about 3 1/4 cups puree.
Recipe by Chef Liam LaCivita, Chef/Owner, Liberty Tavern and Lyon Hall.