Tomato and Bread Soup
- 4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tender celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lb. fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and
- 4 cups water
- 4 slices day-old coarse country bread, crusts
removed, torn into small pieces (about
- 4 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Pass the contents of the saucepan through a food mill placed over a bowl, or puree it in batches in a blender or food processor. Return it to the pan. Add the bread, basil, salt and pepper. Cook until the bread is soft, about 10 minutes more. Stir in a little more water if the soup becomes too thick.
Serve hot, warm or at room temperature ladled into bowls. Divide the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil among the servings, drizzling over the top.