- 1/2 lb. andouille sausage, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1/2 lb. smoked sausage, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1/2 lb. boneless veal stew meat, cut in bite-size
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. okra, trimmed and cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- 6 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut
into bite-size cubes and seared until golden
- 1/2 lb. smoked ham, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. ground dried thyme
- 1 1/2 lb. lump crabmeat
- 1 lb. shrimp, head-on, or peeled and deveined
- 1 Tbs. filé powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Steamed white rice for serving
- Hot sauce for serving
Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the 2 Tbs. oil. Add the okra and sauté for 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Wash and dry the pan.
To make the roux, in the same sauté pan over medium heat, warm the 1/2 cup oil. Add the flour and stir to incorporate. Continue cooking, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, until the roux turns the color of melted milk chocolate, 20 to 22 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the onions and cook, stirring often, until the onions wilt, about 5 minutes.
Add the onion mixture to the meat mixture in the Dutch oven, then add the okra. Slowly add the water, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Add the chicken, ham, garlic, paprika, parsley and thyme. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Add the crabmeat and shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the filé powder, and season with salt and pepper. Stir well.
Spoon steamed rice into soup bowls and ladle the gumbo over the rice. Serve hot sauce alongside. If serving the shrimp with the heads on, be sure to remove the heads and shells before eating. Serves 8 to 10.
Adapted from a recipe by Leah Chase, Chef/Owner, Dooky Chase's Restaurant, New Orleans.