Baked Tomatoes and Zucchini
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 lb. plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, about 3/4 lb. total, sliced
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh basil
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh marjoram
- 1/4 cup water or chicken broth
In a fry pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and sauté slowly until very soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer the onion slices to the prepared baking dish, spreading them evenly over the bottom. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the tomato slices and zucchini slices over the onion in alternate rows. Sprinkle with the basil and marjoram and season with salt and pepper. Pour the water evenly over the vegetables.
Cover and bake until the vegetables are bubbling and tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover and serve hot directly from the dish.