For the topping:
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 6
- 1 cup sliced almonds
For the filling:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs. quick-cooking tapioca or cornstarch
- 1 tsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 lb. apricots, pitted and diced
To make the topping, in a bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, ground ginger and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, quickly cut the butter into the flour mixture until it is crumbly. Add the sliced almonds and toss to mix. Cover and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
To make the filling, in a small bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, tapioca, fresh ginger and salt. Place the apricots in a large bowl, sprinkle with the sugar mixture and toss to distribute evenly. Spread the apricot mixture in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apricots.
Bake until the topping is crisp and golden brown and the apricot filling bubbles slowly, about 50 minutes. Serve warm.