Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Avocado and Sunflower Seeds
This recipe comes to us from Chef Dan Kluger, who creates the farm-to-table menu at New York City’s ABC Kitchen, where he makes the most of seasonal produce. Here, he roasts brussels sprouts until they’re slightly sweet, then adds unexpected flavors with lightly fried herbs, avocado, sunflower seeds and chili pepper.
For the brussels sprouts:
- 3/4 lb. (375 g) medium-size brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. whole-grain mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- 3/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
For finishing the dish:
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (3/4 oz./20 g) roughly chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) roughly chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbs. sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/2 piece red finger chili, thinly sliced with seeds
- 1/2 large avocado, cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) cubes
- 1 lime for zesting
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat an oven to 400°F (200°C).
To prepare the brussels sprouts, in a large saucepan over high heat, bring water to a rapid boil. Working in small batches, add the brussels sprouts and blanch until tender but not fully cooked, about 2 minutes per batch. Transfer to a bowl of ice water, then drain and dry on towels. Cut the brussels sprouts in half lengthwise.
Heat a cast-iron sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and brussels sprouts and season with salt. Transfer to the oven and roast, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer the brussels sprouts to a paper towel-lined tray.
To prepare the dressing, in a bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, honey, Tabasco and salt. You will need 3 Tbs. of the dressing for the brussels sprouts; reserve the rest for another use.
To finish the dish, return the sauté pan to medium-high heat. Pour in the olive oil and quickly fry the basil and mint, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Add the sunflower seeds and red finger chili and toss to combine.
Arrange the brussels sprouts on a platter and sprinkle evenly with the avocado. Drizzle the 3 Tbs. dressing on top and sprinkle with the herb mixture. Finish with lime zest, sea salt and pepper. Serves 2 to 4.
Recipe by Chef Dan Kluger, ABC Kitchen, New York City