Arugula and Beet Salad with Candied Walnuts
This colorful salad calls for a Chioggia beet, which features a pattern of red and white rings inside. Also known as a candy cane or candy stripe beet, it’s perfect for the winter holidays. Use a mandoline to shave the beet and fennel as thinly as possible.
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) (2 oz./60 g) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (2 oz./60 g) sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz./185 g) walnut halves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Chioggia beet, thinly sliced
- 6 cups (6 oz./185 g) arugula
- 1 head radicchio, cored and shredded
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) shaved Manchego cheese
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter and sugar and cook, stirring, until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Add the walnuts, toss to coat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Transfer the walnuts to the prepared baking sheet, spread in a single layer and season with salt. Let cool.
Meanwhile, place the beet slices in a bowl of ice water and let stand for 5 minutes, then drain and pat dry.
In a large bowl, combine the arugula, radicchio, beet and fennel, and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar and toss to coat. Transfer the salad to a serving platter and garnish with the candied walnuts and cheese. Serve immediately. Serves 6.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen